oil on board
14 x 17 inches
hand carved frame
Hoosier impressionist Homer Davisson (1866-1957) is primarily associated with the Fort Wayne, Indiana, school. He was born near Blountsville, Indiana, and was a graduate of DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. His art studies took him to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia; the Art Students League in New York City, where he met fellow Hoosier artist Marie Goth; and the Corcoran School of Art in Washington, D.C. He also studied in Germany (Munich), Holland and France.
Starting in the 1920s Davisson began spending his summers in Brown County, Indiana, where he became a charter member of the Brown County Art Gallery Association in Nashville. He was a teacher at the Fort Wayne Art School.
He exhibited his work, primarily pastoral landscapes, at the Hoosier Salon, the Swope Art Gallery, the Fort Wayne Art Museum and the Indiana Artists' Club. His paintings are in the collections of the Ruthmere house museum in Elkhart, Indiana, the Wabash, Indiana, Carnegie Public Library, and Manchester College, North Manchester, Indiana.